Saturday, November 29, 2008

On the Beach (500th Post)


On Halloween, Mrs. New York Portraits and I went to Florida for a beach wedding. We left New York -- with daily high temperatures in the 40s -- for a room a few yards from the beach.

My task for the weekend was to photograph the wedding. (I'm hesitant to say that, because I'm not a wedding photographer, and I know a lot of wedding photographers, and they're not particularly happy when they hear you've taken a gig away from a full-time wedding photographer. It was a family thing, though, and besides -- taking pictures gives me something to do other than stand close to the open bar.)

So I did. The technical specs: just under 1300 shots (about 12 gigabytes of files), using cameras mounted with a Sigma 24mm f/1.8 and a Tamron 90mm f/2.8. Balanced beachy daylight with fill from my Metz 58 during the service, then at sunset the trick was to get seascape skies mixed with the flash -- without the flash looking like flash. Went fine.

The wedding rehearsal was scheduled on Halloween, and everyone -- bride, groom, guests and all -- came in costume. Maybe I'll be able to post a few of those soon. Until then: a casual snap of Mrs. New York Portraits in a kimono, waiting for the rehearsal.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Congrats on your 500th post! Thanks to you I just picked up this huge Winogrand book "Figments from the Real World". What a collection! You've totally opened my eyes to street photography. Thank you, and keep up the great work.

Ted Fisher said...

I'm going to write a post about Winogrand's lens choices coming up soon. If I remember right, there's a good essay in that book that discusses the way he used wide angle lenses to "place" the viewer right in the scene....

tf

Chris said...

I'll look for that essay, and yes, please do write about his lens choices. That would be quite interesting indeed.

bklynbiblio said...

This is a wonderful photo of Mrs. New York Portraits. Great job! And congrats on 500 postings!